Mission, Vision & Objectives
Global Surgery Amsterdam (GSA) is an international research and education institute that works to develop sustainable solutions to major health problems, especially in general surgery.
Universal access to safe and affordable surgical care when needed is both a moral and a strategic imperative for all human beings.
Initiate, facilitate and collaborate to improve global surgical care by research, education, training projects and advocacy.
- To unite medical specialists, residents, global health doctors and students to perform research on global surgery
- To involve and empower local colleagues and stakeholders in global surgery related research projects
To support, critically review and improve the role of high income country actors to improve surgical care in low- and middle income countries with 4 goals in mind:
- From aid to shared investments in a shared future;
- From charitable missions to sustainable partnerships;
- From vertical programs to horizontal implementation;
- From teaching to mutual learning and innovation.
- To develop teaching tools on global surgery topics and disseminate these internationally
- To organize teaching activities on global surgery for students, in high-, low- and middle income countries
- To provide preparation courses on global surgery for students, doctors and specialists going abroad for exchanges or humanitarian projects
Initiate, facilitate and collaborate to improve global surgical care by research, educational and training projects.
- To organize event platforms on global surgery in collaboration with local and international partners
- To set up collaborations with relevant partners in global surgery and to advocate for sustainable partnerships between hospitals and institutions worldwide